Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Trot

Gobble! Gobble! This morning was the 21st annual GE Run Thru the Woods in The Woodlands, Texas. This is my second year to run it and I am quite pleased with my results. My finish time was 54:29 a full six minutes and 23 seconds faster than last year!!! Hot diggity dog! This is a huge event. There is a 1 mile kids race, a 3 mile teens race, a 3 mile family walk, and the 5 mile run. There were 5000 participants in the events this morning. I participated in the 5 mile run along with what seemed like the other 4999 people!!! The first thing that I noticed about being a little faster than last year is that there is more of a pack the entire time. I was past mile marker two before I even had any real space to myself but I had to dodge and weave the entire time. That aside, there is something kind of comforting about running on a familiar course. I remembered where the mile markers were and I knew when to expect the water stations. With the course being so crowded it was hard to maintain a steady pace but, I managed to keep my splits relatively consistent. They were 10:45, 10:26, 10:52, 10:47, and 11:42. Now, I am not 100% certain of the last two splits. You would think I could remember five measly mile splits but I am really not sure if I hit mile marker four at 42:50 or 43:50. It makes sense that mile five took longer because there is a hill at the beginning of it. I thought that I handled the hill quite well and it was way easier than last year. It didn't really seem like it should have cost me a whole minute but I can't think of a reason to have lost a minute on mile four- it's flat! So, I make it up that last hill and am cruising down Lake Woodlands Drive and can't believe all the people who are walking on the last mile. I turned onto Six Pines and pick up the pace because I am nearing the finish. More walkers? Why aren't people kicking it in we only have one more turn and there is the finish line!!! As I am running down Six Pines, I keep increasing my pace and passing other runners and walkers, not understanding why are they walking?!?! I made the final turn and really kicked it in and ran across the finish line. My watch said 54:32. I was hoping for 55 or better so I was super happy. My official chip time was 54:29- I'll take it!!! I told my husband I couldn't believe how many people were walking when we only had one turn to go. He informed me that the walker's course met up with ours and the walker's finishing chute was next to our finish line. OK, so that explains the walkers but not all the other runners that I passed to get to the finish line. Maybe they just didn't leave enough steam to kick it up in the end? After the race I was hooked up with a free pancake breakfast and then we headed home. Since we celebrated Thanksgiving with my family last Sunday and will be celebrating with my in-laws this weekend, Thanksgiving Day was free to just fool around. We took the baby to Grandma's and the teenager to Harry Potter! I tell you what, if you want to see a movie in a peaceful theatre go at 1:45 on Thanksgiving Day. My Mom had a roast with potatoes and carrots when we got back from the movie. What a relaxing day! Now for the Black Friday plan of attack....

No comments:

Post a Comment