Sunday, January 8, 2012

Holiday Runs

Oops. I typed these up in word over Thanksgiving where I didn't have internet access and forgot to post them. I guess it is fair to say that nursing school has taken my brain hostage. I even forgot my brother's birthday until the day before. That doesn't seem like the end of the world until you learn that my brother and I share a birthday. Yikes!!!

Monster Dash 10/22/11
This race was completely spontaneous so I have been waiting to see if there were any photographs to purchase but I don’t think there will be. This was my first obstacle course race. A friend of mine had a last minute bib for me to fill so I didn’t have any special training or preparation. Kim called me on Friday and we were running together Saturday morning. This was a complete blast. We were going up and down hills, through tunnels, crawling under netting, wading through a mud pit, and doing sit ups and push-ups in the ‘boooot camp’. The final obstacle was called hot shots. I was expecting to have to jump over fire but it was actually a shot of what appeared to be peanut butter and a gummy worm. It wasn’t. It was some kind of Jell-O salsa. I took one taste and threw it in the trash. I am glad I didn’t eat the whole thing or I would have lost it on the race course. I didn’t get as dirty as I thought I would. I was really thrilled to be in good enough shape to spontaneously run and finish a race, especially one as challenging as an obstacle course. Thanks so much for inviting me, Kim!!!
Muddy shoes
Airbrush tattoos

Me & Kim

GE Run Thru the woods
It is becoming a Thanksgiving tradition to head over to the Pavilion and ‘run thru the woods’. I had set a goal to finish in under an hour. My Garmin clocked 5.08 miles in 57:32. Official
chip time was: 57:28 . Mission accomplished. Neil Diamond’s “America” came up on my iPod
during the race. I couldn’t think of a better song to run to on a day about gratefulness. I am thankful to live in this wonderful country where I have the freedom and opportunity to better myself and take care of my family. I am so thankful for my family, for my job, for my education (the never ending one!), and for the ability to get up every Thanksgiving morning and race for five miles. Happy Thanksgiving.


Kittie, Me, Teresa, Steve, Kim, Kelly, Marta


Having fun with the ER mascott while waiting for pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment